A lot of people dismiss Africa as a travel destination for fear of war, diseases and to avoid the sight of poverty. In fact, many people have preconceptions about life in Africa. This is caused by what the media show us about the frightening side of the land. As a result, first time travelers to Africa cannot fully enjoy their visit over there. However, Africa is famous for its scenic beauty, wildlife and cultural diversity. In order to enjoy the splendor of the scenery and diversity of this fascinating continent, some safety precautions and travel tips have been designed for first-time travelers.
What are the safety precautions you need to know as a first-time traveler in Africa?
Travelers often feel uncomfortable when they visit a new place for the first time. Here are some safety tips to fully enjoy your trip in Africa:
- Avoid wearing flashy, expensive clothes and jewelry when you walk anywhere.
- Always put your camera in a bag, instead of hanging it over your shoulder.
- Keep car doors and windows locked while riding a car. Avoid opening the car windows in traffic jam or near a crowded market place.
- Never leave the car window open if you make a phone call or use a tablet inside.
- Do not pick up any hitchhiking stranger.
- Before traveling to a remote place, always ask your travel agency for the best routes and safety measures to be taken.
- Do not forget to lock your room before you leave or before you sleep at night.
- Never let any stranger in your room at any time.
- Wear a flat money belt to keep your money hidden. Just keep the right amount of money of days cash in your wallet.
- Keep your valuable documents safe in your money belt when you travel. Never leave your passport, traveler's checks and any other important documents in your luggage.
- Make a photocopy of your passport, ticket, credit card and traveler checks numbers. Leave those in your luggage.
- Pretend that you know where you are going even if you are lost. It is safe to go into a shop, or a bank to ask for directions if necessary.
It is common that big cities are more dangerous than rural areas. However, you should always take precautions to stay safe.
What do first time travelers need to know when getting around in Africa?
Africa is a fascinating tourist destination due to its cultural diversity, spectacular scenery and unique animal species. In fact, we offer practical tips for those who travel in Africa for the first time:
- Book cheap flights with eDreams, the famous travel agency online, which collaborates with a large number of tour operators and airline companies in Africa.
- Choose from the suggested airlines, flight routes and departure times to get the cheapest flight deals.
- Many travel agencies organize tours. Ask your tour operator to check the available tours with the responsible travel agencies.
- Opt for car rental services if you need a vehicle to get around. It facilitates getting around the area and discovering the scenic beauty and wildlife in Africa.
- Bring a local guide along to help you communicate with local people.
eDreams can help you with any other question about traveling to Africa.